Friday, October 10, 2008

A Little Bit of Movement

Heather seemed to do well overnight. Her vital signs are holding where they have been (eg., heart rate = 85-95, blood pressure right around 125/75, oxygen level that they are giving her = 40% [this is as low as they will go while she is on the breathing tube], pressure in lungs after exhaling = 5.0 [They want it at between 4 and 5. This is down from 8 last night.]. She is down to 5 IV pumps (from 13). She lost three liters of fluid last night and is rapidly losing more; however, I found out she still weighs 220 lbs. I can't imagine what she must have weighed at her most bloated!

As they have taken her off the paralytic and sedatives, she has begun to move a little. She occasionally wiggles her head or feet and grimaces a lot. For a while this morning she seemed to be trying to chew through her air tube. I can't imagine that it is very comfortable. The nurse came in and raised her pain medication level, and she seemed to calm right back down. They want her to wake up and be able to respond to commands.

2 comments:

Ginny Johnson said...

Mark can she have visitors in the ICU? Ryan and I would like to come if that is o.k.?
Ginny

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I am so greatful for all you have written and all the details shared. Halleluya is right!!! I pray for these miraculouse improvements to keep coming! And I continue to pray for Heather, you and Hannah throughout the day.

I remember what it's like to live at the hospital when my brother-in-law had his stroke (we in and out of hospitals for more than a year). At night I literally walked around in my pajamas with my toothbrush, plugged crock-pots of food into outlets of the waiting room and locked the door and slept on the couches.

How are you doing? How are you sleeping and eating? Have you had blessings for strength and health and peace? I'm sure writing and recording is therapudic (you should know:). I want you to know that when I put Heather's name name in the temple I put yours and Hannah's in as well.

Sorry for the novel, but I read this quote today: "Just believing, just having a molecule of faith- simply hoping for things which are not yet seen in our lives, but which are nevertheless truly there to be bestowed-that simple step, when focused on the Lord Jesus Christ, has ever been and always will be the first principle of His eternal gospel, the first step out of despair"
--Jeffrey R. Holland

love you guys!
Michelle F